Motto and Values
he University of Liège has adopted the motto SCIENTIA OPTIMUM, which was introduced by Rector Pierre Wolper at the opening ceremony of the 2019 academic year.
This motto expressed in Latin encapsulates the identity and the objectives of the University.
Optimum corresponds to "excellent" or "the best" and scientia refers to a means: "through science" or more broadly "through knowledge". The two words combined therefore translate into "excellence through science" or "the best through knowledge".
The keynote resonates in
- Our teaching, which is designed to help students acquire the knowledge they need to reach their full potential;
- Our research, conducted to generate new knowledge that will allow us to advance towards the best;
- Our contribution to society, as providers of knowledge to the benefit of all.
Integrity, humanity, freedom, audacity and responsibility
Five fundamental values go with this motto, guiding us in our work:
- Integrity: in the management of an institution, is to guarantee that one acts in the interest of the organization, while never taking into account particular, partisan and personal interests, nor hidden or unspeakable influences.
- Humanity: is the respect of all human beings in their diversity; it is the banishment of all discriminating, degrading or demeaning acts and words.
- Freedom: is being able to express oneself without fear and never to be constrained by an arbitrary authority. Freedom always requires that it be used with integrity and humanity.
- Audacity: is daring to think out of the box and not to limit oneself out of fear. It is the key to great progress, both in science and elsewhere.
- Responsibility: is facing the consequences of one's choices and actions, without seeking to offload them on others. It is the necessary companion of audacity.