The first Vice-Rector
Pr Jean WINAND
University of Liège - Rectorate
Place du 20-Août, 7 (Bât. A1)
Specific missions of the First Vice-Rector
The First Vice-Rector assists and replaces the Rector:
- on a series of bodies (Vice-Chair of the Board of Directors and the Executive Board);
- on representation missions.
He is also the ex officio Chair of:
- several commissions ("67 years old", "PATO promotions", etc.);
- the Accompanying Commission of the Faculty of Architecture;
- the Institut Supérieur des Langues Vivantes.
He is charged with the management of the decentralised sites (Gembloux Agro-Bio-Tech and Arlon), with the aim of their harmonious development within the following guidelines:
- sustainable development for all sites (in conjunction with the Vice-Rector for Student Life and Infrastructure);
- policy differentiation for the different sites in order to promote their assets according to their location and activity type.
If we define the University as a free and humanistic place for the creation and transmission of knowledge at the crossroads of cultures, it is necessary to consider:
- what knowledge is (the importance of basic research, freedom in the choice of objectives and methods);
- what transmission is (teaching complemented by research and lifelong learning);
- and how necessary it is for a university to be open to different cultures (which implies an integration of different forms of culture in our training courses, sustained attention to multilingualism, the development of partnerships abroad, increased interest in development cooperation, etc.).
Taking these considerations into account, all forms of action must highlight the academic values of independence of judgement and promote critical thinking. In the service of the institutional image, the First Vice-Rector is charged with:
- managing the institutional communication strategy;
- developing and running a cultural and museum centre, in conjunction with our external partners;
- steering the sustainable development strategy, alongside the Vice-Rector for Student Life and Infrastructure.
The First Vice-Rector manages the Institution's international relations in academic matters (the validation of research, industrial development and regional economic redeployment being handled by Prof. Éric Haubruge).
Concerning internal organisation matters, the role of the First Vice-Rector is conceived as one of facilitator, to connect people and services.
The main objectives are efficiency, readability and transparency with regard to the functioning of the management bodies. The ambition is to give time back to all categories of staff, and thus contribute to the quality of work and well-being at work (in conjunction with the Vice-Rector for Education and Welfare).