University of the Greater Region
Based on the success of the "University of the Greater Region" Interreg project, the 6 universities (Trier, Lorraine, Luxembourg, Saarland, Kaiserslautern and Liège) pledged to continue their collaborative efforts by creating a sustainable university group, which now has its own legal form: the University of the Greater Region - UniGR A.S.B.L.
The emphasis of the collaboration was placed on certain key fields: Biomedicine, Materials and Border Studies
At this stage, the planned inter-university actions mainly concern research, but also teaching (joint degrees, co-supervision, mobility, exchanges...).
Furthermore, the following expert panels (EP) will continue their work started in the UniGR Interreg project to facilitate administrative cooperation between the six universities:
- "Financial Engineering" EP, ARD team
- "Libraries" EP, Paul Thirion
- "Linguistic Training" EP, Marielle Maréchal, Jean-Marc Defays and Laurence Wéry
- "Intellectual Property" EP, Geoffrey Gloire and Nicole Antheunis
- "Legal Services" EP, Marie-Noëlle Dupont
- "Disability & University Structures" EP, Florence Elleboudt and Catherine Cuvelier
- "Doctoral Training" EP, Isabelle Halleux and Evelyne Favart
- "Joint Degree" EP, Catherine Dassis
- "Teacher Mobility" EP, Linda Agro and Valérie Melotte
- "Blended E-learning" EP, Dominique Verpoorten
- "Communication" EP, Sara Verhelpen
Current events in the field of training
- Series of workshops and seminars - Information and programme - open to students and PhD candidates in medicine from the Greater Region, in Saarbrücken, 2017-2018.
- Advanced robotics course "Advanced industrial robotics" - Courses open to students from the Greater Region, February 2017 in Liège, with Mr O. Bruls.
- Advanced Methods in Structural Equation Modeling - UdS Workshop open to PhD students from the Greater Region – 15-17 December 2015 in Saarbrücken.
- Career perspectives and PI - Seminar TU KL for doctoral students from the GR - 28-29 Sept. 2015 in Kaiserslautern
- Energy future - between technology, culture and society - UdS Seminar for GR doctoral students - 24-25 Sept. in Saarbrücken
- MR3-My Research in 3 minutes- Unl Seminar for GR doctoral students - Programme and online course (MOOC) - 7-8 July 2015 in the Mont-Rigi.
- Developing and implementing a career plan - UL Seminar for GR doctoral students - 17 to 19 June 2015 - Metz
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation - UniLu Seminar for Greater Region doctoral students - 30 and 31 March 2015 - Luxembourg
Current events in the field of research in the three flagship areas
- Workshop "Chemical Biology & Drug Research" on 8 Sept. 2015 in Arlon, with Marianne Fillet.
- Workshop "Systems Biology III" on 12 and 13 March 2015 in Kaiserslautern.
- Workshop "Modulation of disordered eating behaviour through deep brain stimulation MIB-DBS", on 27 February 2015 in Esch/Belval, with Gaetan Garraux
- Workshop "Microbiome & Cancer", on 19 Nov. 2014 in Esch/Belval, with Julie Descy and Bernard Taminiau
- Workshops "Psychobiology & Health", on 12 May 2014 in Luxembourg, 10 July 2014 in Trier and 25 Sept. 2014 in Luxembourg.
- Workshop "Systems Biology II, Computational Systems Biology and Systems Biotechnology", on 2 June 2014 in Luxembourg, with P. Meyer.
- Workshop "Systems Biology I, Epigenetics and Systems Analysis", on 22 Jan. 2014 in Saarbrücken, with M. Hanikenne, M. Georges, P. Geurts and K. Bessonov.
- Workshop "Big Data", on 6 Dec. 2013 in Luxembourg, with L. Wehenkel, R. Marée, K. Bessonov.
Materials & Resources
- Workshop "Magnetic Nano-object" from 2 to 3 March 2017 in Arlon, with P. André.
- Seminar "TRNSYS Experience" from 2 to 3 March 2017 in Arlon, with P. André.
- Training "TRNSYS DAYS" from 7 to 9 September 2016 in Arlon, with P. André.
- Seminar & Workshop "TRNSYS experience" the 25 and 26 February 2016 in Kaiserslautern, with P. André.
- Conférence "Superconductivity in the Greater Region" on 26 November 2015 in Saarbrücken, with A. Silhanek, P. Vanderbemden.
- Workshop "Storage of Solar Energy"", in 2015 in Nancy, with D. Nguyen, P. Colson and F. Ouhid.
- Workshop "Tailored Materials Interfaces", the 29 and 30 June 2015 in Saarbrücken, with B. Heinrichs, P. Colson, A. Caudet and G. Lugo.
- Workshop "Biomaterials", on 23 Oct. 2014 in Arlon, with C. Grandfils, C. Lechanteur, D. de Seny (in collaboration with the Interreg Intermat project).
- Workshop "Recycled concrete" on 7 Oct. 2014 in Luxembourg, with Luc Courand and Mélanie Rondeux.
- Workshop "Construction Materials", on 7 Feb. and 10 Nov. 2014 in Luxembourg, with Luc Courard.
- Workshop "Nanomaterials", from 8 to 11 Sept. 2014 in Nancy (in collaboration with the Interreg Intermat project)
- Workshop "Eco-materials in construction", on 23 May 2014 in Arlon, with P. André, S. Grigoletto and S. Belboom (in collaboration with the Interreg projects Intermat and EcoTransFaire)
- Workshop "Metal Matrix Composites", on 20 May 2014 in Liège, with J. Lecomte-Beckers, R. Boman, L. Papeleux (in collaboration with the Interreg projects Intermat and +Composites)
- Workshop "Microstructure Characterisation", the 3 & 4 April 2014 in Saarbrücken, with E. Plougonven (in collaboration with the Interreg project Intermat)
- Workshop "Multiscale Simulations", on 31 Jan. 2014 in Saarbrücken, with L. Noels, L. Wu. L. Duchene (in collaboration with the Interreg project Intermat)
- Workshop "Mineral Processing & Recovery of Critical Raw Materials"on 30 Jan. 2014 in Kaiserslautern, with S. Gaydardzhiev.
- ABS Conference "Europe Without Borders", from 4 to 7 October 2017, Belval Campus (Luxembourg).
- Conference "Cross-border professional training: State of play, challenges, perspectives", on 11 December 2015 in Saarbrücken, UdS.
- GRET II Seminar "Crossing borders - GRETI Border-Symposium" , the 26 & 27 November 2015 at Pont-à-Mousson, Lorraine.
- End of 2014, creation of a UniGR-Center for Border Studies (CBS) platform bringing together interested researchers from the grouping in the study of borders and cross-border areas.
- Seminar "Borders and Representation, from the Middle Ages to today", the 5 and 6 March (year) in Trier.
- GRETI I Seminar "Crossing Borders", the 5 and 6 March 2015 in Dudelange, with JM Defays, J. Teller, D. Meunier, L. Bernes.
- Workshop "Border Studies II", on 1 December 2014 in Saarbrücken, with Jean-Marc Lambotte.
- Workshop "Border Studies", on 22 Nov. 2013 in Trier, with G. Xhayet, J. Vandersmissen and O. Defechereux.
Moreover, the UniGR grouping supports, under certain conditions, scientific or cultural cross-border events such as:
- The UNIGR sports day of 11 May, which took place at the University of Liège (record and photos)
- The UNIGR culture and sports day on 8 June 2016 in Metz (pictures from the day).
- Cycles of conferences on the theme "Migrations and the refugee problem: interdisciplinary analysis and cross-border perspective of a European challenge" by 6 speakers from the universities of the Greater Region (available in livestream via registration) from April to June 2016.
- Symposium "Socio-ecological transformation processes in a European cross-border region", the 13 and 14 February at Mondorf-les-Bains.
- Cycle of multidisciplinary conferences on the theme "The Greater Region: a daily reality or a political construct?" by 16 speakers from universities of the Greater Region (available in livestream).
- Conference on energy transition, on 21 November 2013 in Trier (RLP).
Support request for start-up of a project or student mobility in the Greater Region
The University of Liège makes available to the academic community two budget lines to support projects as part of the Greater Region university cooperation:
- seed funds for funding projects of the University of the Greater Region
- Greater Region student mobility funds