Chercheuse qualifiée FNRS & Fonds assoc.
Faculté de Médecine
Département des sciences cliniques
GIGA CRC In vivo Imaging - Physiology of Cognition
- ULiège address
Bât. B30 GIGA CRC In vivo Imaging - Physiology of Cognition
Allée du 6 Août 8
- ULiège phone number
- +32 4 3663470
Captcha : Put the image in the right direction
- Conseil sectoriel à la recherche et à la valorisation
- Sciences humaines
- University degrees
2012: PhD Medical Sciences (Université de Liège, Belgium)
2007: MSc Cognitive Neuroscience, Neuropsychology and Psychopathology (Maastricht University, The Netherlands)
2005: "Ptychio" Psychology (4-year undergraduate studies) (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece)
Athena is a tenured researcher (FNRS Research Associate) at the ULiege. Her expertise is in cognitive and clinical neuroscience. Her research contributes to the knowledge about the human mind, even when this cannot be communicated overtly.
She directs the Physiology of Cognition Lab. With her team they investigate brain-body interactions as a proxy to human sentience in health and disease by means of high- and low-tech methodologies. She has conducted behavioral and neuroimaging studies in physiological, pathological, pharmacological conditions as well as in extreme environments, like space travel. Her work has been published in high-impact journals (e.g. Science Advances, PNAS, Brain, Curr Opin Neurobiol, Lancet Neurol) and she has featured as a neuroscientist in the National Georgraphic's Special Issue "The Brain" (2022). As the study of human consciousness touches upon philosophical and ethical issues, the entailing socio-ethical implications interest her deeply.
Athena holds a PhD in Medical Sciences (ULiège). She had been trained as a psychologist (BS, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece), with specialization in cognitive neuroscience and neuropsychology (MSc, Maastricht University, The Netherlands).
She is currently a mentor of 3 postdoctral researhcers and 3 PhD early stage researchers (acad. year: 2022-2023). In the past, she co-supervised a PhD dissertation, three MSc theses and assisted numerous PhD works as member of thesis committee and PhD examination jury. As mentoring training, she participated in the ARD ULiège Professional Skills for Research Leaders program (2018-2019). Currently, she is trained as a Gestalt psychotherapist.
Find her publications here (PubMed) & her reviews here (Publons)
Mob: +32 (0)468 36 45 61
Psychology and Neuroscience of Cognition (PsyNCog)
Faculty of Psychology, Logopedics and Educational Sciences
Place des Orateurs, 1 (B33)
4000 Sart Tilman
University of Liège
- Neurosciences cognitives
- Sciences cognitives
- Imagerie médicale, radiologie, tomographie
- Émotion et cognition
- Physiologie générale
Duties or mandates
- F.R.S.- FNRS Research Associate (Principal Investigator)
- FNRS Mandat d'Impulsion Scientifique, Project: Evidencing sentience in low arousal states by probing brain-body interactions (2021)
- Scientific Award 'Patient Care in the AI Era 2020' (AstraZeneca Foundation) (2020)
- Space travel influences the way the brain works
- Being absent while awake: how mind blanking helps us understand ongoing thinking
- Athena Demertzi to receive one of the AstraZeneca Foundation Awards
- New knowledge on brain neuroplasticity after long-duration space flights
- The way our brains self-organize across time determines our state of consciousness